This simple checklist will help you think about all the aspects of your website. This will help you to have a good understanding of what you are trying to achieve in your own head before beginning. It is very important to be prepared before you begin a website project and before you sit down with your web designer. It will save you both time and money.
- Who is the main contact, mailing address, email & phone?
- What is your preferred method of contact?
- Is there a different billing address or contact?
- What is your business and what do you sell/promote?
- What is unique about your business or company?
- Do you have a slogan or tagline?
- Is this website to be ecommerce or information based?
- What are some expectations that you have of this website?
- Pretend it is six months from now. How will you know your website has been a success?
- Are there any collateral marketing materials (brochures, publications, corporate identity programs, or posters), or media (video or audio) that the Web site needs to be consistent with?
- Are there specific colors that should be used?
- Do you also need a logo?
- Do you need marketing materials and media to be created that are consistent with your new Web site?
- What kind of people are you targeting with your website (age, demographic, etc)?
- What do you want people to do after visiting your website (buy something, do something, response)?
- How much of the content must be created from scratch and have you started that process?
- Is your content in electronic form, and if not, do I need to handle the text conversion?
- If you could, write out what you think the pages would be on your website (home, about us, services, products, etc)?
- Tell us anything you can about the organization and content of the site. What features are necessary? (i.e. search, ecommerce, downloads, password-protected areas, mail forms, slideshows, events, social integration, encryption, etc.)
- Are there parts of competitor sites that you like?
- Are there parts of competitor sites that you hate?
- How many people will require training?
- Have you managed a website before?
- Are you familiar with website backups and security?
Hosting & Domains
- Do you already have a domain name registered?
- Do you already have webhosting?
- If so do you want me to transfer them to my system for you?